Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Internship reflection # 8 April 1, 2009

Today I got to the police station at 7:30. There was an officer in the front checking people with a metal detector. I talked to him about his job. I was able to ask him a few questions. I also was observing how he did his job and how he communicated with people. Then after that I went into the records department. When I got in there it was 8:00. I was signed into a computer by one of the clerks. She opened the three report searching programs with her password. Then she gave me two papers from progressive. They were requests for reports. I had to search for them. When I found them I printed them out and faxed them over to progressive. I had to save the top sheet of the report and put it in a folder. The rest of the report went in the trash. I then had to answer phones and look up peoples reports. If they were ready I told them what time they could come down and pick them up. If they weren’t ready I told them that it wasn’t ready and to check back in a day or two. I got a few people who called that were very rude and also were yelling so I told them to stop and talk to me the right way or I was hanging up. Then they were more respectful, you cant let people get loud with you. You have to speak up and tell them to stop or call back later. When I got bored and there was not much to do I went into different programs and seen what they were about. I also looked up some reports in the computer system. There were a lot of interesting reports and a lot of crash reports that happened today. Then later on I had to work at the front window. There were a lot of customers today and I attended to a lot of them for all different kinds of reports. When they came I asked if it was an accident or other. Then they gave me either their report number, last name, date, or street location. When I found it I knew how much it was. I told the person how much it was and they paid for it and I gave them their change. Then I printed it out and gave it to them. If it wasn’t in the system or it wasn’t ready yet I told them to come back in a few days. I had to look through three programs in our computer system to find some reports. That’s what I did for most of the day. Then I had to run a few errands for the clerk up to the second and third floor. Today was a very busy day.

No comments: